Driving around and listening to all the inspiring teacher stories on K-Love motivated me to add my little tribute.
When I think back to my school years... many teachers stand out in my mind. I really could fill pages if I were to sit here and list all the various ways particular teachers have touched my life.
Well, here is just a small small glimpse... few gems of memory that stick out and make me smile...
Mrs Merrill - 5th Grade Teacher at Dutch Neck
- read to us after lunch... just loved it!
- gave out jolly ranchers for reciting the Gettysburg Address by memory
- taught us all the bones of the body from cranium to phalanges using rhyme and rhythm
- taught us geometry facts with song and rhythm as well...
"the area of a tri-an-gle is... the base times the height... divided by 2"
Mrs Long - 6th Grade Teacher at Dutch Neck
- showed us Ben Hur in class as well as a bunch of other movies... but I particularly remember Ben Hur
- had a hamster pet in class and we took turns taking him home
Mr Enz - Elementary School String Teacher
- he pretty much taught me how to play the violin
Mr Glass - Elementary School PE Teacher and Freshmen Field Hockey Coach
- PE was my favorite class. I had so much fun! Loved all the sports and games... and I loved the Presidential Fitness Challenges
- He recruited me and my good friend, Kathleen, to play on his freshmen team in high school
- He always ran with us.. the long runs, the suicides, diagonals, and sprints at the end of practice!
- Whenever it rained and folks started to complain... he'd say "Hey, skin is waterproof! I shower, don't you?"
High School French Teacher - wow, I can't remember his name... but I still remember what he looks like!
- taught us a song to remember the verbs that conjugate with etre
- funny, funny teacher... made learning French fun
Dr Chen - 11th Grade Physics Teacher
- motivated us by writing our names on the board if we get over 90% and another section if we get 100% (LOL prob not a motivator for everyone but it worked for me)
- she used these two silly character names to illustrate physics word problems and though I can't remember the names I still remember the problems!
Mrs Mauro - High School Orchestra Teacher
- let us hang out at her office before school, during lunch, after school...
- let us hang out at her house after prom!
- took us on an orchestra trip to DC
- witnessed me hit my R eye with a music stand and sent me to the nurse, then to the ER to get 5-6 stitches
- was also my homeroom teacher another time when I got hit with a field hockey ball in the R eye. I had the eye covered with a patch but she made me show her... then sent me to the nurse, who sent me to the ER... again!
Mrs Hussong (knew her as Ms Jung originally) - PE Teacher as well as Field Hockey and Girls La Crosse Coach
- inspired me to give it all, never give up, and fight to win
- 4 memorable seasons of high school field hockey which became such a love and important part of my life...
- would never have played girls la crosse if it weren't for her!
Oh.. I'm sure I'll think of more if I were to keep going...
Now, I send my kids to elementary school and I know they have wonderful teachers pouring out to them. I'm so grateful for all the teachers out there showering the kids with love, inspiring them... giving them hope and a future.
Thank you, teachers!!!