So that was the second time she fell out of bed while sleeping! The first time, we were in a hotel room and she was sleeping on a double bed with no rails. Maybe we'll have to look into bed side rails or something...
So when to call the doctor or go to the ER if your toddler falls off the bed? I say, when in doubt, call your doctor for that is what our urgent lines are for. But in general...
- Stay calm (kinda hard to do as a parent..)
- Look for bruises, bumps, lumps, cuts, scrapes, deformities...
- If there are bumps... ice!
- If there is a cut... put pressure to stop bleeding...
More urgent signs would include things like
- loss of consciousness
- altered mental status
- loss of balance
- prolonged crying
- anything funny with the eyes
- anything funny with breathing, color
- any funny twitching
When in doubt... I'd call your doc to be on the safe side.
This toddler stage is such an active stage and we have a super active child... even when she sleeps! Hopefully, no more falls from beds...